BY ROBERT GRACE | UL PROSPECTOR
Posted on April 24th, 2020 by Robert Grace - FULL ARTICLE
Copper kills. And when it comes to microbes, that’s a good thing.Copper eliminates bacteria through ions that damage bacterial cells. When bacteria and copper ions come into contact, the copper ions weaken the outer membrane of the bacteria cell through the process of oxidation. Copper is toxic to the inside of the cell and, eventually, the copper ions cause the cell to rupture. The cell then loses its vital structure and dies.
This has led the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to register copper as a public-health antimicrobial product because of its proven ability to kill bacteria. A Fast Company article details some of the material’s centuries-old history, and asks why more surfaces aren’t covered with it.
For full article, click here.